This clothes moth killer guide has been produced to help anyone suffering with clothes moths. Below you will find step-by-step instructions on how to carry out a comprehensive clothes moths treatment to a wardrobe enabling you to eradicate a clothes moth infestation.
To see our full range of clothes moth products, please click here or on the Clothes Moth tab at the top left of the page.
Clothes moth damage can be both distressing and costly. Normally the first signs of a clothes moth infestation are small circular holes in sweaters, suits or other items of clothing. The image to the left shows more extensive damage to a sweater over time. Clothes moth control is best achieved by treating the interior walls of wardrobes and drawers with a residual insecticide such as Pest Expert Formula 'C' Clothes Moth Killer Spray and by activating Formula 'P' Foggers to fumigate the room. In addition, we advise using Rentokil Moth Killer Cassettes andStripsas an extra line of defence and to prevent re-infestation. We also recommend our Moth Proof Storage Bags for protecting favourite and/or expensive items made of wool, cashmere, silk, leather or fur. As a follow-up to moth treatment and to maintain moth control, hanging Demi-Diamond Clothes Moth Pheromone Traps will enable you to monitor activity.
Highly recommended are our Clothes Moth Killer Kits, which contain a number of clothes moth control products along with an advice sheet giving step-by-step instructions on how to carry out a professional clothes moth treatment.
Firstly, and most importantly:
Do not apply liquids directly to any electrical items or power source, being sure to avoid plug sockets, cables etc. Insecticidal dusts can safely be applied with caution around these areas.
A safety mask and protective gloves should ideally be worn at all times when handling any pesticides. In addition to the advice given below, please be sure to follow instructions on product packaging.
Treatment should be carried out by firstly applying the Formula 'C' Spray, followed by activation of the Formula 'P' Fogger(s), before finally placing Rentokil Moth Killer Hanging Units/Strips into wardrobes and drawers.
1. Any unprotected persons or pets (including fish) should be removed from rooms where treatment is about to take place and kept out until surfaces become dry.
2. Clear out wardrobes and drawers, inspecting clothing and paying particular attention to items made of wool, silk, cashmere and any other natural materials. The reason for this is that clothes moths will only ever feed on natural fibres.
The larvae stage is what causes the real damage and creates holes in clothes. Larvae can be identified by their creamy white colour with golden brown head, however their presence is more often obvious by the appearance of a kind of silk webbing.
Any clothes which are of concern should ideally be dry cleaned or washed as per clothing advice label. Heavily infested items should be disposed of.
3. Once wardrobes and drawers are empty, spray inside furniture, applying Formula 'C' to all internal panels.
4. If carpets are believed to by affected or a possible source of infestation, apply Formula 'C' moth killer spray to edges to eliminate any larvae.
5. Next, activate the Formula 'P' Fogger(s) following the directions provided. Each Fogger will treat a room approx 4m x 4m. Foggers can be safely used inside wardrobes. Foggers do not leave a residue so will not taint or damage any clothing or soft furnishings.
6. Allow 2-3 hours for surfaces to dry and for the gas to disperse. If possible, upon re-entering the room, ventilate by way of an open window to eliminate any remaining fumes and help speed up the drying process.
7. Once all surfaces are dry, clothes can be re-stored in wardrobes and drawers. We recommend storing favourite/expensive woollens, cashmeres, silks, furs etc in Moth Proof Garment Bags which are impregnated with a moth-killing insecticide.
8. Hang Rentokil Moth Killer Hanging Units, two units (one twinpack) per double wardrobe, replacing every 3-6 months. Moth Killer Strips can also be placed in drawers, one strip per drawer.
9. To monitor activity after treatment install the Demi-Diamond moth trap(s) in the affected room(s). Fold the moth trap(s) into a toblerone shape and insert a pheremone pad into the trap, sticky side facing out. Replace the pad every 4-6 weeks.
10. Depending upon the degree of infestation, repeat applications may be necessary.
11. When products are finished with, please dispose of safely and in accordance with advice on packaging.
12. Formula 'C' is a residual insecticide. This means it will leave an invisible film which, unlike a fine mist aerosol, will continue to remain effective for some time after (depending upon traffic over surfaces). Therefore, for maximum effect, cleaning of treated surfaces should ideally be avoided for a short time. After cleaning it may be necessary to re-apply.
The information supplied is provided as a guide only. While every effort is made to assist customers, mothkiller.co.uk will not accept any responsiblity for any loss resulting from the application of products supplied by ourselves, or any guidance given.
To see our full range of clothes moth products, please click here.
Our Advanced Clothes Moth Killer Kit is probably the most comprehensive on the market, containing the optimum combination of clothes moth products from market leaders Pest Expert to help you eradicate a widespread clothes moth infestation affecting several rooms or wardrobes and maintain long-term clothes moth control. This Kit provides 5Ltr of our best-selling Formula 'C+' Advanced moth killing insecticide, allowing you to also treat bedroom carpets and safeguard them against moth damage. All our Clothes Moth Kits come are supplied with step-by-step instructions to enabling you to carry out a simple yet highly effective clothes moth treatment. For full details, please click on More Info. (INCLUDES FREE NEXT DAY DELIVERY!)
The Intermediate Clothes Moth Killer Kit with products from Pest Expert has been designed to eliminate a clothes moth infestation affecting two rooms or double wardrobes, but is also ideal for those wishing to carry out a more intensive clothes moth treatment to one area. This Kit offers the same extensive range of high quality moth killing products as our Standard Kit but in greater quantities, providing everything you need to get rid of clothes moths fast and maintain long-term moth control. All our Clothes Moth Kits are the most comprehensive on the market, offering the best, professional-grade products available, to ensure complete clothes moth eradication. (Click on the 'more info' tab for full contents list and further details).
Our Standard Clothes Moth Killer Kit provides a combination of the very best clothes moth control products, perfect for the treatment of a clothes moth infestation in one double or two single wardrobes. Including clothes moth products from Pest Expert, this Kit contains everything you need to get rid of clothes moths and maintain control for up to 6 months! All our Clothes Moth Killer kits are supplied with a step-by-step advice sheet, to enable you to carry out a professional clothes moth treatment. For full details of this pack, please click on More Info.
Moth Traps, or Demi Diamond Moth Traps will trap Tineola Moths (Clothes/Carpet Moths). This pack size includes 3x Moth Traps & 10x Pheromone Lure pads enabling several months of moth trapping and detection around the home. The unique slow release pheromone is completely odourless and an excellent product for establishing the extent of a moth infestation. Moth Traps are also useful for detecting early signs of Clothes Moth activity. (DEMI DIAMOND MOTH PAD REFILLS, AVAILABLE 10 FOR ONLY £7.98!! CLICK ON 'MORE INFO' TO VIEW)
Pack of 10 replacement Pheromone Pads (Tineola species) for use with Demi Diamond Traps. These excellent moth pheromone traps attract clothes moths and will therefore help you both detect moth activity and monitor activity after treatment to ensure your moth infestation has been eradicated.
Pest Expert Clothes Moth Killer Cassettes offer outstanding, long-lasting clothes moth protection, keeping clothing free from moth damage for up to 6 months. Odourless and non-staining, each twinpack protects a standard wardrobe for up to 6 months!
These Clothes Moth Killer Strips from Pest Expert are a highly effective moth control product, providing outstanding moth protection to your wardrobes and drawers over a 6 month period. Contain transfluthrin which kills clothes moths, eggs and larvae. Pack of 10 individual moth killer papers.
Pest Expert Formula 'C+' Advanced is the new and improved formulation of our best-selling moth killer. Containing three powerful active ingredients, Formula 'C+' Advanced is a fast-acting clothes moth killer spray that kills clothes moths on contact and leaves behind an insecticidal residue that is effective for up to 12 weeks, offering long-lasting clothes moth control. (FROM JUST £32.95 WHEN BUYING MUTIPLES!).
The Pest Expert Formula 'P' Super Fumer is a powerful 11g insecticidal smoke bomb containing permethrin which has a rapid knockdown effect on adult moths. The Super Fumer will treat an area of up to 100 cubic metres. Please Note: The Super Fumer can also be used in smaller rooms/areas for a more intensive treatment.